Is the roof not an essential part of a house? It’s become such a significant part of a house that the expression or figure of speech goes, “A roof over your head.” This basically means having a house to live in. Surely enough, you know what a roof is, but are you aware of its basic components?
What does a roof do?
A roof serves to protect a house against the variety of nature’s elements. In doing so, it can’t avoid the eventual wear and tear, along with the battering it would undergo from the contrasting heat and cold from the sun and rain. Jaco Roofing makes mention of roofing solutions, such as the Duro-Shield Metal Retrofit Roofing System. It provides protection to a building against heavy and constant rain, on-and-off temperature changes, interior leaks, as well as the constant build up of ice, rust, and corrosion.
The Duro-Shield single-ply membrane, prefabricated in a factory, is custom-made to fit a metal roof as an extension to its components, which are listed below:
- Underlayment – The underlayment of a roof is the black paper laid over the plywood sheeting to provide added sealing to the roof from nature’s elements and dampen sound.
- Flashing – These are the metal pieces that serve to redirect water from places where it may store water.
- Shingles or Tile – These comprise the exterior part of a roof. It settles over the underlayment, and together, they collaboratively shield a roof from nature’s damages.
- Trim – The trim serves to protect the seams in a roof.
The aforementioned components integrate altogether in the design elements of a roof. And these seven design elements are:
- Ridge – This is the highest point in a roof.
- Hip – This is also a high point, but where two roof sections connect.
- Valley – When two downward slopes intersect, it forms the valley.
- Pitch – This refers to how steep a roof is.
- Eaves – This is the part of a roof hanging over the rest of a home.
- Gables – These are the triangular parts of a home, beginning from the eaves and all the way up to the peak.
- Dormer – These are the parts of a home that extend and reshape a roof.
There’s more to roofing apart from the coupling of its components and design elements, but what matters is that you know its significance to the life of your home.